AssuredPartners: Stay Protected: How to File a Flood Insurance Claim

Stay Protected: How to File a Flood Insurance Claim

From Harvey to Irma, we have all seen the harsh effects natural disasters such as hurricanes can have. Whether it is a large natural disaster or some heavy rain, it is important to make sure you know how to report a claim in the event that your home or business experiences flooding.

Here is are some helpful things to keep in mind when filing a flood insurance claim courtesy of FEMA.

Reporting Your Loss

  • Report the loss to your insurance agent as soon as possible.
  • Within 24-48 hours, you can expect a call from your adjuster to make an appointment.
  • Tip: Take a photograph of the water-damaged items and then move items outside to prevent mold.

Preparing for the adjuster’s visit

Be ready with:

  • Your policy number, insurance company info, and the best way to be reached.
  • Lots of photos of your damaged property.
  • Documents related to damaged property (i.e., contractors’ estimates, receipts).
  • Samples or swatches of carpeting, wallpaper, furniture upholstery, and window treatments.

Once you meet with the adjuster it’s time to review, sign, and send the Proof of Loss to your insurance company.

Request for additional payment: If you discover additional damage after filing your claim, or repairs cost more than estimated, you can file for additional payment. Contact your adjuster or insurance agent to start the process.

Payment of Claims: By law, claim payment checks for structures must be made out in the mortgage holder’s name. Contact your mortgage holder for more information.

At AssuredPartners, it is our goal to make sure you are prepared and protected in the event of a flood. When a claim is reported to us, our typical turnaround time is 48 hours. However, please keep in mind that hurricanes and other storms may result in a high volume of claims causing the turnaround time to be a bit longer. For flood questions, or if you would like a review of your flood insurance policy, visit AssuredPartners Property and Casualty.